ALL GOOD THINGS MUST COME TO AN END. Up to this point in the Gatlinburg Story, we have been truly blessed–because the majority of the coverage has been provided by three highly professional, dedicated, compassionate teams of journalists courtesy of WATE,WVLT,and WBIR, along with 2 newspapers, The Knoxville News Sentinel, and The Tennessean–and an occasional piece from FOX WZTV. From the first chaotic night, despite the firestorm, tornadoes and scattered flooding, these true journalists have held to the highest standards of journalistic ethics–they have been compassionate, thorough, professional and unbiased, while still diligently seeking information for the public.
Watching from Arizona I have come to look forward to seeing their familiar faces, watching how naturally they interact with the people in Gatlinburg and the surrounding areas, and how they manage to balance their obvious empathy and involvement with the reporting of the news. They are truly amazing people to watch, and eastern Tennessee is fortunate to have such a concentration of talent.
Then Along Comes Ms. King–One Of NYC’s “Finest” (NOT)…..
Now isn’t she just special, bless her heart? She exemplifies what certain failed presidential candidates meant when they so snidely referred to “New York Values”. And then she decided to start pushing for the name of the person or persons who “dropped the ball” and whose incompetence, by inference, led to the 13 tragic deaths. She was establishing a false narrative–fallaciously comparing this unprecedented firestorm in Tennessee to an entirely different type of fire in North Carolina, acting as though she actually knew something about forest management, or meteorology, or the science and physics behind firestorms. Additionally, she referred to an inaccurate piece of weather information as though it were established fact.
Needless to say, she likely knows little or NOTHING about these subjects, given the narrative she was trying to create. But the complete breakdown of the firestorm and analysis of available information is for another series of articles. THIS article is about the harpy who actually thought it would be a good idea to state, in so many words, that it was the ineptitude of the National parks people, or the Mayors, or first responders or boogymen that caused thirteen people to die.
But..But…1st Amendment! Democracy! The PEEEPUL’s Right To Know!
- She was insinuating DIRECTLY–BY STATING A BALL HAD BEEN DROPPED AND DEMANDING A NAME–that there was incompetence at the root of the deaths, WITH ABSOLUTELY NO PROOF THIS IS THE CASE. With several layers of government involved and the fire encompassing private property, federal land, and who knows what other land ownership is in the midst–county? city? State? Saying ANYTHING OTHER THAN–“THE MATTER IS BEING INVESTIGATED AND WE WILL NOT COMMENT AT THIS TIME, AS WE DON’T WANT TO POSSIBLY TAINT THE INVESTIGATION ” would be idiotic. AND I HAVE SEEN NO SIGN EITHER OF THE MAYORS IS AN IDIOT.
- SHE VIOLATED JOURNALISTIC ETHICS AND INTEGRITY: HERE IS THE CODE
- The Mayors and other officials have spoken before about the various steps that will be taken, and ARE being taken, to determine what, IF ANYTHING, could have resulted in a better outcome. THESE PRESS CONFERENCES ARE MEANT TO KEEP PEOPLE INFORMED ON THE THINGS THAT MATTER TO THEM NOW. With the governments investigating possible arson along with the failures in emergency warning procedures, this would not be the time to be discussing the issue anyway.
- Now, let’s just think what would happen if the mayor had given her the name of the person in charge that night–and the investigations reveal that person was NOT responsible for anything. Well, the city, county and state would, at the very least, probably be facing a MASSIVE lawsuit for placing the person in a position where they were presumed “guilty”. Because in most government jobs, if you are NAMED in anything that might turn out to be a problem, then you’re placed on administrative leave. And then the rumor mills starts up, and the gossip flies–and even if your name is cleared–you can’t get back your reputation.
- Frankly–THE LAST THING WE NEED IN THIS EVENT IS THE LYING MEDIA. AT THE VERY LEAST SHE WAS DISRUPTING THE DELIVERY OF IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON OTHER MATTERS, OR PERHAPS TRYING TO CREATE A SENSATION TO BENEFIT HER CAREER–Which judging from comments in the comment section of WLOS’s Facebook Page is hardly one worth bragging about. And one could make a case that her blatant implication of CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE defames the characters of everyone associated with this disaster.
Demanding to know the name of the person who “dropped the ball”, when THERE IS NO EVIDENCE THE BALL WAS DROPPED, is NOT “journalism”, unless of course we’re looking at the YELLOW Kind. That is simple slander and scandal mongering, of a level one would have expected from tabloid trash papers back in the good old days. I wouldn’t be surprised if she sleeps with a copy of Megyn Kelly’s abysmal new book under her pillow….
It Is Time To Draw A Red Line In The Sand, Here…NO MORE FAKE NEWS.
We’ve spent the last 18 months or so being bombarded with the lowest forms of yellow journalism, and suffering with a main stream media that has on more than one occasion suppressed news, distorted news, delivered news that hasn’t even been remotely checked for facts–and in more than one case–ABSOLUTELY FALSIFIED NEWS. And I for one am NOT going to tolerate it any longer.
And for the record–it has now been CLOSE TO 6 HOURS SINCE THE HARPY DID THIS–AND WLOS HAS YET TO ISSUE A STATEMENT. AND SHE, OF COURSE, HASN’T EITHER.
How much do you want to bet the big boys over there are closeted in some boardroom with their lawyers, trying to figure out the least expensive way to dig themselves out of the manure, without having to admit it was a setup? Because these “journalists” seldom are asking questions they thought of themselves.
POST SCRIPT : THE MSM REDUCTIO AD ABSURDUM: